Types of raw materials for the kitchen countertop
Kitchen countertop | Custom-built furniture
The selection of the kitchen countertop must be made depending on the design and the owner’s life style. For a kitchen where there is going to be some heavy cooking, we will rather go for a countertop that will provide resilience to stains, heat and heavy use. On the other hand, for a space where the countertop is more of a décor element, the resistance to external factors is definitely not the first criterion in terms of countertop material selection.
For this article, we decided to talk about 4 types of materials that we have been successfully using for our Saramob design projects.
In terms of composition, this type of countertop basically resembles the PAL panels, more precisely it contains a mixture of wood chips and special glues. The difference lies in the use of a HPL (High pressure laminate) decorative laminated panel on top of the board surface, which is intended to provide higher resistance for the countertop. As suggested by the very name, the heat-resistant countertop does not alter its characteristics under increased temperatures.
Therefore, it can stand high temperatures and its purpose is to prevent cracks and surface damaging. Nevertheless, despite the fact that it is clearly intended to stand high temperatures, it is advisable to not place the hot pots directly on top of it, so as to make sure that its durability will be as longer as possible in time.
• Costs are lower as compared to other materials
• Processing and installing are simple and fast
• Heat and crack resistance
• Available in a wide range of colours and textures
• A sink may not be mounted under the countertop
• Panels only come as a 4-cm thick option
• The outer edge is rounded, while the other 3 sides are straight.
Compact laminate boards
This material has a very modern look and is used for both bespoke kitchen furniture and commercial spaces (restaurants, coffee shops, pharmacies, etc.). The compact laminate board countertop is available for order in 3 colour options: white, black or grey. Although the sheets are only manufactured in individual colours, we may get a wood-like texture if we place a textured HPL sheet on top.
• Fast and easy mounting
• Suitable for outdoor furniture, commercial spaces
• Slim, rounded edges
• It allows for an undermount built-in sink
• Resistance to heavy duty, wear, scratches and chemical solvents
• Resistance to weather factors (humidity, heat, frost)
• It does not come in a wide range of colours
Solid wood countertop
Whether it is about oakwood, beechwood or cherry tree wood, the natural beauty of the wood brings that genuine feel and warmth to every room. Given the texture and colour variations, the wood is a material that guarantees uniqueness to each furniture item.
In order for a quality product to be obtained, it is essential that we observe the raw wood finishing stages and to treat it by means of substances that are intended to protect the wood against humidity.
• Pleasant look that integrates both a classic and a modern style
• Considerable durability
• Varied and unique textures
• The wood requires treatment with special substances in order to prevent bacteria and water from penetrating
• In time, the appearance of wood becomes wear-like and requires polishing
HI-MACS composite material countertop
The HI-MACS composite material is a state-of-the-art material and consists of acrylic resin (Polymethylmethacrylate), a natural mineral obtained from bauxite (aluminium hydroxide) and natural pigments.
It is manufactured as sheets or hot-moulded objects by means of heat-treatment process called Thermal Cure. This 2-stage thermal process creates a more solid and more resistant structure as compared to other composite materials. Finally, the HI-MACS sheet is polished on both sides and the result is a smooth, non-porous surface.
Due to this smooth surface, it is very easy to clean and is, thus, the perfect choice for kitchen, bathroom, restaurant, coffee shop, pharmacy, medical practice furniture.
• Resistance to impact, scratches, UV radiations
• Easy cleaning and sanitation
• Unlimited suitability fields
• The countertop may be continued with moulded-in sink
• Wide range of colours
• It allows for seamless binding
• It allows for polishing in case of deterioration
• Higher costs
• Extended manufacturing time